You are here:
For a Dr. med., Dr. med. dent. or Dr. rer. medic. degree, you can either submit a certain number of publications (doctorate by publication) or a monograph as a doctoral degree paper (dissertation).
A PhD or MD/PhD degree requires the pursuit of a doctorate by publication.
- The dissertation (i. e. paper(s) and synopsis, or alternatively monograph) required for a PhD or MD/PhD degree should be prepared in English.
- The publication date of the most recent publication may not be more than one year before initiation of the doctoral examination procedure.
- NEW: Publications that have already been accepted by a journal but have not yet been published may be submitted if no further changes are made to the content for the published version.
- Please also observe our notes regarding journals and joint (first) authorships.
- Please note that the title of your dissertation cannot be the same as the title of one of your publications. There are legal reasons for this. Firstly, it is unclear whether the authors and/or journal could assert protective rights to the publication. Secondly, there would be two publications under the same title, i.e. the dissertation and the journal publication, which would cause bibliographical problems, and finally, the title of the dissertation should have a larger scope than a very specific publication generally has.
A monograph can be submitted for the degrees Dr. med., den Dr. med. dent. and Dr. rer. medic.
For monographs written in the English language, the Doctoral Committee may have the quality of the work assessed by a report from a linguistic expert. The costs incurred for this shall be borne by the doctoral candidate.
The submission of a temporarily protected monograph is possible with the approval of the Doctoral Committee. The application must be submitted together with the registration of the doctoral project. For detailed information, go to the Registration section.
For a PhD or MD/PhD degree, you can submit a monograph or a temporary protected monograph, if this has been approved by the Doctoral Committee at registration prior to the initiation of the doctoral project. For detailed information on this go to the Registration section.
Consultation on statistics & consultation on qualitative methodolgy
You are planning a doctoral project that includes a relevant statistical part and want to do a doctorate by means of a monograph? Then please inform yourself on this page about the obligatory statistical consulting.
You are planning a doctoral project that includes a relevant part of qualitative methodology and want to do a doctorate by means of a monograph? Then please inform yourself on this page about the obligatory consultation on qualitative methods.
Doctorate by publication
The award of a Dr. med., Dr. med. dent. or Dr. rer. medic. degree requires the submission of at least one original publication by the candidate as lead author in a "peer-reviewed" journal, as well as a synopsis. A total of up to three original publications in peer-reviewed journals may be submitted.
The thesis must be prepared in either the German or the English language.
For a PhD and MD/PhD degree, the doctoral degree paper (dissertation)
- must include at least one original publication by the candidate as lead author in an international "peer-reviewed" journal or
- three original publications, with at least one by the candidate as lead author, in a "peer-reviewed" journal
and (in both cases)
- a synopsis, please use the template for your thesis. It contains all relevant information.
In case of an original publication as first author in a leading international peer-reviewed journal, up to two additional original publications in peer-reviewed journals can be submitted. These journals do not have to be internationally leading journals. You can be first author or co-author.