You are here:
A monograph can be submitted for the degrees Dr. med., den Dr. med. dent. and Dr. rer. medic.
For monographs written in the English language, the Doctoral Commission may have the quality of the work assessed by a report from a linguistic expert. The costs incurred for this shall be borne by the doctoral candidate.
The submission of a temporarily protected monograph is possible with the approval of the Doctoral Commission. The application must be submitted together with the registration of the doctoral project. For detailed information, go to the Registration section.
For a PhD or MD/PhD degree, you can submit a monograph or a temporary protected monograph, if this has been approved by the Doctoral Committee at registration prior to the initiation of the doctoral project. For detailed information on this go to the Registration section.
Confirmation by an accredited statistician
Are you planning to pursue a doctoral project including a relevant statistical section and complete it by submitting a monograph? Then you will find more information here on the Confirmation by a statistician accredited by the Doctoral Commission (Section 8 (2)a PO 2017).
Doctorate by publication
The award of a Dr. med., Dr. med. dent. or Dr. rer. medic. degree requires the submission of at least one original publication by the candidate as lead author in a "peer-reviewed" journal, as well as a synopsis which should generally contain 5 000 to 10 000 words and not more than 40 references as a doctoral degree paper (dissertation).
The thesis must be prepared in either the German or the English language.
For a PhD and MD/PhD degree, the doctoral degree paper (dissertation)
- must include at least one original publication by the candidate as lead author in an international "peer-reviewed" journal or
- three original publications, with at least one by the candidate as lead author, in a "peer-reviewed" journal and (in both cases)
- a synopsis, which should generally contain 5 000 to 10 000 words and not more than 40 references
This synopsis must include the following:
- Presentation of the current state of research,
- Detailed description of the
- applied methods
- most important new results
-resulting clinical applications or scientific issues
- Detailed overview of the author’s own achievements
Please indicate all authors of a publication in your list of references - regardless of your way of quoting. Do not use abbreviations like "et. al."!
In addition, please complete this form for a tabular summary of the main points of your Thesis (see also Links & Downloads). This form need not be included in your dissertation but you are requested to submit it with your documents for the initiation of the doctoral examination procedure.
- The doctoral degree paper required for a PhD or MD/PhD degree must be prepared in English.
- The publication date of the most recent publication may not be more than one year before initiation of the doctoral examination procedure.
- Please also observe our notes regarding journals and joint (lead) authorships.