You are here:
Aptitude assessments for applicants with a Bachelor's degree
Outstanding holders of Bachelor's degrees can apply for assessment of their general aptitude to pursue a Dr. rer. medic., PhD or MD/PhD degree if they have obtained a Bachelor's degree with ECTS grade of A in a subject relevant to their envisaged doctoral degree subject and topic.
Please note: In order to be admitted to a doctorate, you have to pass the aptitude assessment successfully.
- CV in tabular form, showing the applicant’s academic career (without gaps)
- Detailed overview of all courses attended and examination results, issued or certified by the relevant university
- All university certificates obtained, i.e. in particular the Bachelor's degree certificate
- A copy of the Bachelor's degree certificate
- The assessment report/s on the Bachelor's degree certificate, if applicable
- Two letters of recommendation by university professors or lecturers regarding the applicant’s aptitude to independently pursue scientific work at doctorate level
- A list of all publications, if applicable
- Information on academic distinctions/awards as well as additional qualifications, experiences or contributions relevant to the assessment of the aptitude to pursue doctoral studies
- A synopsis stating why the applicant wants to pursue a doctoral degree without a Master's degree or equivalent
- Information on the envisaged subject and topic of the doctoral degree and the type of degree
For promising applications, the applicant will receive a written invitation to appear before the Aptitude Assessment Board: The applicant will then hold an approx. 20-minute presentation on a scientific topic selected by the applicant himself or herself which is linked to the envisaged subject and topic of the doctoral degree. The topic must be submitted to the Office for Doctoral Studies seven days in advance.
The subsequent max. 40-minute discussion, should cover the following points:
- The contents of the presentation
- The envisaged subject and topic of the doctoral degree
- The applicant’s scientific qualification
- His or her academic career and
- additional contents, providing information on the aptitude to pursue doctoral studies
The determination of the applicant’s aptitude may be attached to certain conditions and obligations. The written notification of the aptitude to pursue doctoral studies must be submitted to the Office for Doctoral Studies together with the other documents when you register your doctoral project.
You can submit your application for aptitude assessment together with the above specified documents to the Office for Doctoral Studies.