You are here:
Courses outside the Doctorate Environment
If you attended courses before or during your doctoral studies which were not included in the list of certified courses, i.e. which have not been formally accepted for inclusion in the Doctorate Environment, it is nevertheless possible to have ECTS credit points obtained in these courses credited.
Please observe the notes below, before you send a message to the Coordination Office. Please do not turn to the Office prior to the registration of your doctoral project! Our capacities are limited and we cannot process your request if you have not already been registered!
- The course may not have already been completed within the scope of the degree based on which you were admitted for the pursuit of a doctoral degree at the Charité
- At minimum, the course must correspond to level 7 of the European Qualifications Framework for Lifelong Learning (Master's degree level)
- A connection to your doctoral project or science should be clearly identifiable
- The course must have been completed no longer than three years before registration or no longer than three years before acceptance to the Advanced Track (effective date = deadline for applications)
- You must submit proof of successful attendance
Please compile the following information, before you turn to the Coordination Office:
- Title of the course
- Type of the course
- Admission requirements (if applicable)
- Name (and function if applicable) of the instructor / professor
- Number of attendance hours
- Content / program, learning objectives
- Your Contribution
- URL (if applicable)
Please compile these details for each course separately and make sure that the responsible person, e. g.g the instructor, attests the correctness of it (date and signature). (Please not: you do not need to use the Charité-form). Then please forward these certificates to the Coordination office. Please be aware that we may ask your supervisors if these courses should be recognized for your doctoral studies.
Note on non-public events
Participation in internal, non-public events (e.g. AG Meeting, Lab Seminar, PhD Colloquium, etc.) can in principle only be credited with ECTS-CP if these events have been certified by the coordination of the doctoral environment and published with the doctoral courses. Certification can be requested at any time at promotionsumgebung(at)charite.de.
Information for recognition of advanced medical training
Advanced medical training units completed within and outside of the practical year will be recognized insofar as the training is not purely clinical in nature but covers scientific subject matter. For recognition by the coordination office, please submit substantiated certificates describing the contents of the training units in detail.
Notes on attendance at congresses, symposiums or conferences.
Attendance at scientific events such as congresses, etc. can be credited, i.e. in particular if you participate actively, for instance by holding a presentation or presenting a poster. In this connection, please note the following:
- For every full day of attendance (approx. 8 hours) of congresses, symposiums, conferences and similar events, you will be credited 0.33 ECTS credit points and 0.15 ECTS credit points for half a day. Please submit the conference program as proof (electronically as a file or link)
- Advanced Track: For the presentation of your own work, for instance in the form of a conference contribution, 1 ECTS credit point will be credited in the section "science communication". For further presentations of your project ECTS credit points may also be credited in the sections "research methodology" and "personal skills"
- Standard Track: ECTS credit points for the presentation of your own work can be credited in the elective areas I and II with 1 ECTS credit point.
- For any other presentations or posters ECTS credit point will also be credited, provided that these presentations or posters are not identical
- Please submit your certificate of attendance to us, which can either be downloaded from the congress portal or will be provided to you by the organiser. The certificate does not need to state any ECTS credit points. Also, it is not necessary to use the certificate of attendance form available in the Doctorate Environment
Notes on e-learning
You can also make use of our e-learning courses. For this, please note the following points:
- e-learning can be credited if the customary quality requirements for e-learning courses are met in full and a connection to the topic of the doctorate becomes clear, or if the relevant course effectively supplements the training program accompanying the doctorate.
- The number of ECTS credit points is calculated as follows: the amount of time stated by the organizer divided by 30. If the organizer specifies a time period, the highest value is used.
- On the Advanced Track, you can obtain max. 5 ECTS CP by e-learning and max. 2 ECTS CP on the Standard Track. For current reasons, these restrictions have been lifted since March 18, 2020. This means that all ECTS credit points that you earn via e-learning from March 18, 2020 until further notice will be fully credited to you.
- E-learning courses offered by accredited universities are eligible for crediting as well as courses by, among others, the following providers: Coursera, DataCamp, edX and Stanford Online
- Please submit suitable proof. This does not need to be the official certificates (subject to charge). An informative screen shot is sufficient
Notes on teaching activities
- You have already obtained a first university degree at Master's level or are enrolled at the Charité for medicine or dentistry, and have completed at least 6 semesters. In exceptional cases, Bachelor's degree holders who are currently pursuing a Master's degree program and are able to produce further relevant qualifications may also apply for the crediting of teaching activities
- The courses held by you were accompanied by a university professor or lecturer or any other experienced professional with regard to didactics and contents
- The course has been subjected to an evaluation
- If the above specified conditions have been met, ECTS CP can be credited for such teaching activities. Generally, the following rule of thumb will be applied for determining the ECTS CP: The first time you hold a course, the following shall apply:
(Number of attendance hours * 4) / 30 = creditable ECTS CP
For each repetition of the course, the 4 must be replaced by a 2, to account for the smaller amount of work involved.
Where the result exceeds the maximum limits (see below), only the max. permitted number of hours will be credited
- On the Advanced Track, you can obtain max. 5 ECTS CP by holding courses and max. 2 ECTS CP on the Standard Track