Doctoral studies at the Charité
On its website, the team of the Charité’s Office for Doctoral Studies provides detailed information on doctorates at the Charité.
- If you want to learn more about the different tracks to your doctoral degree at the Charité in general, please click here.
- In the Doctoral examination procedure section you will find information on the topics of "Registration" of doctoral projects and "Initiation of the doctoral examination procedure" according to the Doctoral Degree Regulations 2017.
- In the Doctorate environment section, you will find information on the topics of "Compulsory doctorate accompanying courses"("Doctorate Environment") as well as on the "Recognition of other academic contributions".
- Rules, forms and other documents are available at Links and Download.
- For counsel and advice, please click here.
Initiation of the doctoral examination procedure
In addition to personal appointments for the registration of doctoral projects, we can now again make personal appointments for applications to initiate the doctoral procedure for publication doctorates. However, please make the appointment only after your dissertation has passed the formal examination (see No. 1 below) and the plagiarism check. If you would like to make a personal appointment, please email us. However, it is still possible to submit applications by mail. Unfortunately, we are not yet able to offer personal appointments for monographs. For the time being, applications for initiating the doctoral procedure for monograph doctorates can only be submitted by mail. For this and for the submission for publication doctorates, the procedure described below applies:
- First send us your dissertation via e-mail for a formal examination in Word format. Please compile your dissertation into a Word document as described on these pages:initiation according to the doctoral regulations 2017. On these pages, open the appropriate tab for the type of dissertation you have (for example "Doctorate by publication with at least 3 publications"). Then structure your file as you find it described there under the second indent "3 copies of the dissertation". We will then inform you whether you can send us the application for opening with all documents (see below, No. 2-9) by post. For a publication doctorate according to the doctoral regulations 2017, please note: If you have written your synopsis (Manteltext) in English but are not a native speaker, we strongly recommend that you have the synopsis linguistically checked by a native speaker.
- NEW Please fill out the documents "Angaben zur Eröffnung des Promotionsverfahrens" and "Einwilligung zur Speicherung und Eidesstattliche Versicherung" (in German only), print them out and sign them! Please enclose the originals with your shipment.
- Compile all the documents required for the initiation of the doctoral examination procedure: initiation according to the doctoral regulations 2012, initiation according to the doctoral regulations 2017.
For deviations from these lists, for example regarding copies and signatures that are absolutely necessary, please note the following points:
- Sign in the 3 copies of your dissertation (i) the statutory declaration, (ii) the declaration of own contribution (if applicable) and (iii) your CV.
- Please submit with your original signature (i) the application for the initation of the doctoral examination procedure, (ii) your curriculum vitae for the file, (iii) for doctoral regulations 2017: selection disputation / individual examinations, (iv) your statutory declaration, (v) your declaration of own contribution for the file. Your first supervisor must also sign on this (v).
- Please enclose with all the necessary original signatures: (i) the assessor proposal form (with the signature and stamp of your first supervisor), and (ii) for doctoral regulations 2017: the original Votum Informativum with the signatures of all your supervisors.
- You must also submit some of the documents electronically. Please inform yourself on the pages mentioned above (no. 3).
- Please also enclose: (i) a simple (non-certified) copy of your identity card or passport, (ii) a simple (non-certified) copy of your degree or alternatively a current certificate of enrollment in medicine or dentistry at the Charité, (iii) a simple (non-certified) copy of your medical licensing certificate (if available), (iv) your specialist licensing certificate (if available), and (v) an official certificate of good conduct (amtliches Führungszeugnis). NEW You do not need to submit a certificate of good conduct!
- Please send us all documents in one shipment!
If you have any questions, give us a call or send us an email! Please note that we will return incomplete shipments!
Please read the instructions we give you on our website carefully and follow them as closely as possible! This will save you and us a lot of effort and trouble! Please clarify any points you have not understood with us before you send us your shipment. If possible, please send us an email. We will be happy to answer you as soon as we get to it. Thank you very much for your understanding!
Pease allow 4 to 5 months for the processing of your application to initiate the doctoral procedure.
Office for Doctoral Studies
As of June 7, 2022, we offer the following telephone office hours:
Tuesday: 9:00 - 11:00 a.m.
Wednesday: 9:00 - 10:00 a.m., 1:00 - 3:00 p.m.